Contestants present a one-to-two minute impromptu speech. All contestants will receive the same topic, which will be of a general nature.
- All contestants must receive the same topic, which must be of a general nature.
- The topic is selected by the contest chair.
- The topic must be of reasonable length, must not require a detailed knowledge, and must lead to an opinion or conclusion
- Contestants will receive no advance knowledge of the topic until the moment they are introduced by the contest chair
- Contestants must not use digital or other devices during the contest to gain an unfair advantage.
- When the contest begins, all contestants except the first must leave the room and remain under the supervision of the contest Sergeant at Arms.
- Introduce each contestant by announcing the contestant’s name, the topic, the topic, the contestant’s name.
- At the conclusion of each speech, the next speaker is invited into the room
- Table Topic speeches must be from one (1) to two (2) minutes. A contestant will be disqualified if the speech is less than minute (1) minutes or more than two (2) minutes 30 seconds.
- Timer will not buzz you off
- For contests:
- The green signal will be displayed at one (1) minutes and remain displayed for thirty (30) seconds.
- The yellow signal will be displayed at one (1) minutes and thirty (30) seconds and remain displayed for thirty (30) seconds.
- The red signal will be displayed at two (2) minutes and will remain on until the conclusion of the speech.
- In the event of technical failure of the signal or timing equipment, a speaker is allowed 30 seconds extra overtime before being disqualified.
- Be a paid member in good standing