Contestants present a three-to-five minute speech on any subject they choose. Humor and props may be used to support or illustrate the speech.
- Speakers must speak for a minimum of 2:30 and no longer than 5:30
- Speeches must be substantially original.
- 25% of the speech may be devoted to quoting, paraphrasing, or referencing another person’s content.
- Contestants must not reference another contestant, or a speech presented by another contestant, from the platform at the same contest in which they are competing.
- Contestants who plan to use props (including any sort of electronic devices) must notify the contest chair prior to the contest.
- Contestants may enlist someone to help them with props, but it is not the responsibility of the contest chair or any other contest official to do so.
- Tall Tales contest speeches must be from three (3) to five (5) minutes. A contestant will be disqualified if the speech is less than two (2) minutes 30 seconds or more than five (5) minutes 30 seconds.
- Timer will not buzz you off
- For International contests:
- The green signal will be displayed at three (3) minutes and remain displayed for one (1) minute.
- The yellow signal will be displayed at four (4) minutes and remain displayed for one (1) minute.
- The red signal will be displayed at five (5) minutes and will remain on until the conclusion of the speech.
- In the event of technical failure of the signal or timing equipment, a speaker is allowed 30 seconds extra overtime before being disqualified.
- Be a paid member in good standing