Before the meeting (in-person)
- Plan to arrive approximately 15 minutes early to assist with room setup.
- Expect an Executive member to arrive early as well to provide access to the storage closet and community room. You do not need to worry about opening them.
- Set up the room: place the lectern, adjust the lighting, set the timing lights, display the banner, and arrange seats appropriately.
- Distribute evaluation slips (one per speech), pens, and 2 pieces of scrap paper (voting slips) to each seat.
- Set up the QR agenda codes on each table, ensuring the QR code for the agenda faces the audience. Note that there are two different codes on each stand-up plastic piece.
- Hand over the Wordmaster bell and notebook to the Wordmaster once they arrive.
- When the meeting is due to start, bang the gavel and begin!
At the meeting (in-person)
- Open the meeting with a warm welcome! Your role is to create an upbeat atmosphere and explain the meeting rules.
- Proceed with a thorough explanation of the rules (outlined in the next section).
- Conclude your introductory segment by introducing the Chairperson.
- During voting times, collect voting slips and tally the votes.
- If you’re an evaluator or participating in table topics, delegate vote collection and counting to a non-participant.
Explanation of rules (in-person)
- Use your phone to scan the QR code for the agenda. After scanning, switch your phone to Airplane mode to avoid distractions.
- Keep cell phones and other electronic devices on silent mode.
- Refrain from entering or exiting the room while someone is speaking on stage.
- If returning from outside, peek through the window to ensure no one is speaking. Enter and exit during applause or speaker transitions.
- Share the location of the washrooms and the access code (13579#).
- Encourage clapping when each speaker begins and concludes their speech.
At the meeting (online)
- Log into the online meeting at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- At 6pm sharp, kick off the meeting. Begin with the rules explanation, etiquette reminder, and the introduction of the Chairperson.
Explanation of rules (online)
- Avoid frequently turning off your camera. Complete any necessary tasks before the meeting starts, and only step away if absolutely necessary.
- Find a quiet room with minimal distractions, such as pets, noise, or other individuals.
- Ensure your microphone is muted unless you are speaking or the Speaker has requested it unmuted.
- Refrain from multi-tasking during the meeting.
- Position your camera at eye level for a clear view.